It’s only April 18th, and I’m starting to feel like this division is wrapped up already…
There were a few interesting takeaways from last night’s games. The Dodgers finally played a team that was considered at least “decent” in the form of the Brewers and, sure enough, lost. The Cardinals continue to build up a sizable early lead on one of the top picks for the division title, besting the Reds again, although just barely.
Dodgers (9-2) @ BREWERS (5-6)
7:10 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: The Dodgers may have entered this series playing .900 ball, but this is their first series against a quality team.
- In what seems to be a daily post, another Brewers’ pitching prospect had a nice day yesterday. This time it was Tyler Thornburg.
REDS (4-7) @ CARDINALS (8-3)
7:15 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: It’s the only divisional match-up today, and the Reds have to right this ship soon.
- Rob Neyer posts on Cardinals’ stand-in 1B Matt Carpenter.
ASTROS (4-7) @ Nationals (9-3)
6:05 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: The Nats might be the best team in the National League right now once you account for schedule strength. And, getting on base at nearly a .400 clip, Houston is staying in games.
CUBS (3-8) @ Marlins (5-6)
6:10 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: The Marlins are improving now that they are playing teams like the Cubs instead of the Cardinals.
- Carlos Zambrano gets sappy over the Cubs.
- But the feelings might not be mutual.
- And Ozzie says Big Z has it all figured out.
- It’s mid-April, so you know what that means. Time for a Kerry Wood injury. Making an already bad bullpen even worse.
PIRATES (4-7) @ Diamondbacks (7-4)
2:40 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: I’m having trouble coming up with any reason unless you are convinced that the D-Backs are a strong team. (I’m still not.)