I’ve decided to start ordering these game previews not in ascending order of game time, but rather in order of my patented*”Why You Should Care” scale. Really it’s more based on what I would watch if I had my choice of watching any of these games. It’s entirely subjective. And if you don’t like it, make your own list.
* not actually patented
The Brewers aren’t playing particularly well right now, of course, but it will be an interesting match-up for the Dodgers who have yet to play a good team this year. (With apologies to the Pirates and Padres.) Is their 9-1 start an aberration? We’ll need a month or two to figure that out. For that matter, are the Brewers better than their 4-6 mark?
In other news, I can’t believe we’ re around to the 3rd start for some pitchers. The season grows up so fast…
REDS (4-6) @ CARDINALS (7-3)
7:15 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: Because it’s a divisional match-up, that’s why.
- The Reds/RedBirds rivalry continues.
- The Post-Dispatch compares Matt Holliday, Ryan Braun, and Joey Votto.
- Are you going to play or what, Brandon Phillips?
Dodgers (9-1) @ BREWERS (4-6)
7:10 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: Because maybe the Dodgers aren’t this good and the Brewers aren’t this bad.
- Things aren’t off to a good start in Milwaukee, but at least their catchers are hitting well.
- Brewers’ prospect Jimmy Nelson went seven strong.
ASTROS (4-6) @ Nationals (8-3)
6:05 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: Not a bad pitching match-up. And, so far anyways, the Nats have been a pretty fun team to watch.
- Astros GM Jeff Luhnow says Brett Myers is not available.
CUBS (3-7) @ Marlins (4-6)
6:10 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: To see if Ryan Dempster can finally pick up a win that he deserves. Also, to see if Josh Johnson’s arm falls off.
PIRATES (3-7) @ Diamondbacks (7-3)
8:40 PM CT
Why You Might Watch This: Because you’re having trouble falling asleep.
- Baseball Prospectus’ R.J. Anderson tries to figure out why Pedro Alvarez has sucked.
- Neil Walker will be fine.