A quick look back at what happened yesterday…
@ REDS 4, CARDINALS 3
The Cincinnati Reds did something they really needed to do, avoiding a sweep at home against the St. Louis Cardinals. Cincy came back from a 3-1 hole heading into the bottom of the 5th. Joey Votto doubled to start the Cincinnati 9th and later scored on a walk-off single by Chris Heisey. Aroldis Chapman went 2 innings, striking out 5 to earn his 2nd win out of the bullpen. How long until he becomes a starter might depend on how much longer Reds’ starters struggle. The 97 mph high strikeout of Freese at 0:39 in this video is particularly awesome.
- On the downside, the Cards decided they weren’t going to be trying today.
- Heisey discusses coming through in a pinch.
- I have a personal interest in The Cuban Missile becoming a starter, so let’s make this happen, people.
- Fangraphs on the Brandon Phillips extension.
BREWERS 2 @ CUBS 1
Yovani Gallardo puts together a nice start after getting shelled in his opening effort, while Ryan Dempster pitches well again for the Cubs, only to get the L hung on him. George Kottaras (seriously) connects for a 2-run homer in the 7th to put Milwaukee up for good.
- Bruce Miles, maybe the only Chicago sportswriter who isn’t a total hack, on the team’s lack of OBP skills the past few seasons.
- On the other hand, their radio man – Pat Hughes – is one of the best out there. Fred Mitchell profiled Hughes.
- More from Miles on how things will get worse before they get better for Chicago.
- The fine folks at Baseball Prospectus on Jeff Samardzija.
- Marlon Byrd going “linear” to break funk.
@ Dodgers 4, PIRATES 1
3 hits each for Matt Kemp and Juan Rivera as the Dodgers (5-1) keep rolling early on. The Bucs’ Neil Walker is now 1-for-17 in 2012.
- The Post-Gazette on Casey McGehee’s fast start.
Braves 6, @ ASTROS 3
4 more errors for the ‘stros and the Braves batted around in a 3-run 4th inning. With 8 errors this season, Houston is 3rd-worst in fielding percentage in the National League.
- Odd thing is, all 8 errors have come in Wandy Rodriguez’s 2 starts this season.