A quick look back at what happened yesterday…
@Dodgers 2, PIRATES 1
Took this game in on the MLB Network. Clayton Kershaw is sick. (I mean that in a good way.) Both center fielders Andrew McCutchen and Matt Kemp lost balls in the sun early on. Andre Ethier gave L.A. the win in their home opener with a solo shot in the bottom of the 8th.
- Andrew McCutchen got a big contract but is playing like he didn’t.
CARDINALS 3 @ REDS 1
It’s early, of course, but the Cards are off to a great start. Home runs #3 for Carlos Beltran and David Freese and Kyle Lohse improves to 2-0.
- Brandon Phillips, fresh off his big contract, will be out a while with a hamstring injury. Hammies can be tricky. Let’s keep an eye on this. Here’s more on B-Don’s contract. And more. And the St. Louis Dispatch on it.
- On Chris Carpenter‘s recovery. The Dispatch considers a June return, not May.
- Mike Matheny “settling into” manager’s role.
- First it was his hand, now his calf. Lance Berkman is falling apart.
Braves 6 @ ASTROS 4
Chipper Jones made a great bare-handed play fielding a bunt and also connected for a 2-run homer in his comeback game, giving Atlanta their first win and ending Houston’s 3-game win streak.
- Kyle Weiland takes the blame for the loss.
- Jose Altuve on his free-swinging makeover.
- The Hardball Times with a look at Stanford RHP Mark Appel, the possible #1 pick for the ‘stros this June.
BREWERS 7 @ CUBS 4
Milwaukee put 5 on the board in the 1st inning and never looked back. Alex Gonzalez hit a 3-run shot.
- Contract talks with Zack Greinke shelved for now. More here.
- “Don’t Panic!” says Ron Roenicke on Milwaukee bullpen.
- You don’t see the backup catcher used for pinch-hitting duties often, but the Cubs appear to be using Steve Clevenger in that role early on.