Full slate of action for the NL Central today, with the Cardinals/Reds, and Brewers/Cubs as the big games.
PIRATES (2-1) @ Dodgers (3-1)
3:10 PM CT
- While at the Dodgers’ game tonight, why not pick up a Big Kid Dog? (I can think of about 2,000 reasons, but it’s your life.)
- Clint Hurdle is trying to figure out how to handle Pedro Alvarez without hurting his feelings. Or something.
- Top pick Gerrit Cole made his pro debut for the Bucs last night.
CARDINALS (4-1) @ REDS (2-2)
6:10 PM CT
- Ex-Red Kyle Lohse is back. FOR REVENGE!
- Brandon Phillips will likely sit this one out.
- Anthony Castrovince talks Cardinal fans in mourning over Albert off the ledge. “Snarky”? It’s like he’s talking directly to me.
- Lance Berkman’s hand is hurting, but he’s playing through it.
- UPDATE @ 2:45 PM CT — Furcal to sit.
Braves (0-4) @ ASTROS (3-1)
7:05 PM CT
- Future Hall of Famer Chipper Jones to return today for the Braves?
- Maybe not a future Hall of Famer Jed Lowrie to return Friday for the Astros?
- Michael Bourn is happy to get the hell away from Houston.
- Astros to wear old Colt .45 jerseys tonight. Snap.
BREWERS (2-2) @ CUBS (1-3)
7:05 PM CT
- Ron Roenicke keeping tabs on Corey Hart. If he was healthy, I guess he’d be on pace for 160 homers instead of only 120.
- Shaun Marcum notes that “spring training is overrated“. I would have added “way too freaking long”.
- Hart is also making a strong case for skipping spring training.
- This quote drove me nuts. “As a free agent, [Paul] Maholm knew he wanted to remain in the NL Central, where his familiarity would be an asset. The Cubs ended up being an attractive option, as the lefty is 6-2 with a 5.48 ERA in 11 career starts at Wrigley.” I’m going to guess that most pitchers with a 5.48 ERA in 11 starts end up with a record more like 2-6 (or worse) instead of 6-2.
- On the prospect watch (which is all Cubs’ fans have this year), Anthony Rizzo had a nice night.