It’s a beautiful morning here in the Midwest. (By early April standards.) Let’s get back to the ballpark!
BREWERS (1-2) @ CUBS (1-2)
6:05 PM CT
The Brewers lost their opening series to the Cardinals, but have a nice chance to right the ship early with a series against the Cubs. Shaun Marcum gets his first start of the season, while Chris Volstad makes his debut for the Cubs after coming over from the —
- Mike Hunt of the Journal-Sentinel continues this ridiculous theme that Cubs fan will heartily boo Aramis Ramirez tonight. Again, I don’t see why they would bother. I expect more of a deafening “meh” out of the Wrigley faithful this evening.
CARDINALS (3-1) @ REDS (2-1)
6:10 PM CT
Jake Westbrook gets his first start of the year for the Redbirds, as they go up against another front-runner for the NL Central title. St. Louis got off to a good start with a series win in Milwaukee, while Cincinnati took down the over-hyped Miami Marlins.
- Will Westbrook tear it up this season? This article posits that his performance this spring may be a harbinger of things to come.
- Adam Wainwright’s fastball averaged just 89 mph in his comeback start on Saturday. Also, Lance Berkman opens his mouth. Link.
Braves (0-3) @ ASTROS (2-1)
7:05 PM CT
Coming off of a season-opening series victory against Colorado, Houston’s young team hopes to continue their luck against young Atlanta starting pitcher Brandon Beachy. J.A. Happ, three years removed from pitching effectively, gets the start for the ‘Stros.
- On Brian Bogusevic. (WARNING! Link contains insufferable number of golf puns.)
PIRATES (2-1) – off tonight
- A.J. Burnett to return in late April?